Post-16 Transport

transport to college

Please see the below information provided by Devon County Council for transport arrangements into College for Sixth Form studies:

Devon County Council does not provide a universal Post-16 assisted travel scheme. It expects that you and your parents will consider how you are going to get to and from college prior to applying and accepting a place.

You and your parents need to explore all avenues available to get you to and from college. This could be walking to college, cycling, car share, public transport, vacant seat scheme (see below), private taxi etc.

Please visit the below link for the following information:

  • What are my options?

  • Assessment of need

  • Additional Information

  • Code of conduct

Please find below Devon County Council's Post-16 Vacant Seat Form. This form needs to be completed and returned to Devon County Council to ensure your child has a confirmed space on the school bus.

Vacant seats

The expectation is that parents will make the necessary arrangements for you to get to and from college. If there is a school/college contract vehicle (CJ Downs) you may apply for a vacant seat. You need to make an enquiry at an early stage, by calling 0345 155 1019 and asking whether a vacant seat is available.

A vacant seat is where there is a Devon County Council contract vehicle operating to your school or college. If there is a spare seat and there is no public transport you may be offered a seat on a vehicle. This seat will be guaranteed for that academic year.

A contribution towards the cost of your travel is required and applications need to be completed and sent to the Transport Coordination Service by 1 June, for the following academic year.

Applications within the current year may be considered if there is availability on a service.

Post-16 Vacant Seat Request Form.pdf

If you feel you would be eligible for the Sixth Form bursary scheme to help towards transport costs, please see the Bursary page for more information, including the application criteria and how to apply.